When you have a cavity, your dentist will treat it with a filling. The problem is, there are various types of fillings your dentist can use to treat tooth decay. If you’re unfamiliar with the different types of fillings, you may not know which one to choose. At Summit Dental of La Mesa, serving residents in and around Jamacha, California, we recommend composite dental fillings for cavity treatment due to their restorative and cosmetic properties.
What Makes Composite Fillings Stand Out?
Although composite fillings are more costly than amalgam fillings, they come with unique advantages that silver fillings do not have to compensate for their extra cost. These advantages include:
- Attractive Appearance – Unlike silver amalgam fillings that glitter in your mouth, composite resin fillings are tooth-colored and blend in with your natural teeth. Drs. Evans and Allen can match your fillings to the shade of your natural teeth, so your fillings complement your smile.
- Safety – Amalgam fillings contain mercury and other metals that pose a health risk for people with metal allergies or sensitivity. In contrast, composite fillings contain no harmful substances, making them a safer option for treating cavities.
- Support for Treated Teeth – Composite teeth fillings are fused directly onto the tooth (or teeth) that need treatment to reinforce your tooth structure. That reduces the risk of weak teeth breaking due to decay.
- Insulation – Composite fillings act as insulation to protect you against tooth sensitivity caused by temperature changes when consuming hot or cold beverages or food.
- Versatility – In addition to treating cavities, composite teeth fillings can be used to cover discolorations on your teeth or to reshape a tooth that has been broken, chipped, or otherwise damaged due to injury or decay.
Composite Teeth Fillings Near Me in and around Jamacha, California
Through routine dental care, we can help protect your teeth against cavities. In the event of tooth decay, you can trust our team at Summit Dental of La Mesa to provide quality cavity treatment to patients in and around Jamacha, CA. To schedule a dental exam or treatment for tooth decay, contact us at (619) 494-2492 without delay.
Share this Article